Thursday, March 10, 2011

Why being a royal wedding naysayer might be good for your health

As I wrote a few days ago in my scintillating article 7 Reasons Why I don't care about people who don't care about the royal wedding, I shared my reasons for not caring. I still don't care but who am I to lose an opportunity for blog material? Like them, I felt compelled to offer my unsolicited opinion.

But then I realized the naysayers might actually be on to something.

Like them, I find writing about my feelings to be cathartic. There's nothing as satisfying as getting your viewpoint out there. Some try to do it with a touch of humor and some do it out of anger. It's healthy to get those feelings out, and wonderfully safe to do when hiding behind a pseudonym.

In the face of good news they swim against the current. And it takes guts to do this. The naysayers march to their own drummer until they find a band to join them. Railing against the positive they let their true feelings be known. And good for them! A difference of opinion is what makes the world go round. Even if it brings other people down. Weddings and Baby showers must be fun for them.

They may not care about the royal wedding but instead of turning the dial, they justify why they won't. Continuing to watch, read and comment on something that irritates them. They're obviously not quitters and stand by their principles. Even so, despite claims to the contrary,  they too will be watching the wedding. Because even if there are more important things to focus on there is no escaping the coverage. And why should they run and hide? It's good to know what's going on in the world. How else will they make informed comments about why they don't like Kate's wedding dress?

The naysayers live their truth. If anyone deserves a medal, it's them.

© Marilyn Braun 2011

1 comment:

silverspur said...

Have at my blog if you like, I was a Royal Chauffeur not so long ago, have a look, http://silverspur-ukdriving.blogspot.com