Monday, July 30, 2007

The Stages of Grief for Kate Middleton

For people who care to remember, April 13th, 2007 will go down in history as the day we heard that Prince William and Kate Middleton had broken up. Since then, we have mourned in our own way. Our experience might even mirror the Kübler-Ross model for grief and tragedy. Let's take a look.

Denial: Royal message boards and newspaper columnists blazed with speculation. "No, it can't be happening!"

Anger: Certainly we shared this feeling with Kate herself. We looked for ways to assign blame: It's the media's fault! Kate was too middle-class. William wasn't ready to settle down.

Bargaining: eBay sellers auction off the rare Woolworth commemorative china for the engagement that never was.

Depression: Who will save the monarchy now?

Acceptance: No, they're not getting back together. Maybe Prince Harry and Chelsy will get engaged?

But it didn't end there. Then we went through the stages again as reports indicated that they are back together.

Denial: They can't possibly be back together! I just sent him my phone number.

Anger: Did I pay too much for the Woolworth china?

Bargaining: Maybe they'll break up again and I can sell it for more than I paid for it.

Depression: Environmentalists cry: "Think of the trees!"

Acceptance: *Sigh* Here we go again.

If any of this applies to you, make sure you seek help immediately.

© Marilyn Braun 2007

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Like royal books? Visit Marilyn's Royal Bookstore!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No none of that applies to me. I'm just being happy for them. I really like your site.

Marilyn Braun said...

Thanks Claudius.

If they're back together then I'm happy for them too. Even if it's been quite the roller coaster ride in the media.

Anonymous said...

Your welcome Marilyn. You know I have been reading a lot of comments on many sites where the subject of William & Kate is the main focus and I'm really shocked to read that many people don't want them together. Which I know that won't affect William & Kate at all but why do you think people make such crazy comments about Kate? People just want to call her a party girl and she just want to be in the limelight. Do you think public feelings will change when we actually see William & Kate out together? or will it continue until they get married? I just want to know because the media is getting on my nervous.

Marilyn Braun said...

I think some of these comments might have a lot to do with jealousy. She's young, she's attractive and she's dated/dating a prince. Maybe she is seeking the limelight, maybe she isn't. Regardless, we're the ones reading and talking about her.

If they do end up getting engaged, I'm sure that feelings will change. You'll probably see those same people on those sites saying 'I knew they'd be together all along', 'she's such a great addition to the family', etc etc.

If they get married there will be a honeymoon period with the media where everything is wonderful about her and she can do no wrong. And then the press will turn on her and tear her down from the pedestal they put her on. They did it with Diana, I'm sure they'll do it with her (or whomever William marries).