Did you know...
- In 1938, the Queen (then Princess Elizabeth) was given the world's smallest watch as a gift from the people of France. She wore this watch almost daily, even to her wedding and coronation. She lost it in 1955. In 1957 when she made a State visit to France, she was presented with a replacement watch that was nearly as small.
- When Prince Charles was born his father described him as a 'plum pudding' and for a time, the name stuck with the media
- Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (later the Queen Mother) turned down the proposal of Prince Albert (later King George VI) twice before accepting him
- Princess Margaret was the first royal baby, so close in the line of succession, to be born in Scotland since Charles I in 1600.
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, was born on a dining room table
- When Prince Andrew was born in 1960, he was the first baby born to a reigning monarch since 1857.
© Marilyn Braun 2005