Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Royal Focus: The Prince Albert Brooch
This large oblong sapphire is surrounded by twelve round diamonds. It was given to Queen Victoria by Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha the day before their wedding. For their wedding she wore the brooch with a diamond necklace and earrings and always referred to the jewel as 'Albert's brooch'.
While Prince Albert was alive, Queen Victoria wore it constantly and inexpensive reproductions of it were made for those subjects who wanted to purchase a version of the brooch. After his death in 1861 she rarely wore it. In her she instructed that it be considered a Crown piece of jewellery, held in trust for all future Queen consorts. Queen Alexandra wore it pinned to her shoulder for her coronation in 1902. Queen Mary wore it often, but Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother was rarely seen wearing it. The brooch is a favorite of the present Queen. Prince Albert made copies of the brooch for his daughters and the present Queen gave one of these to her daughter, Princess Anne.
© Marilyn Braun 2010
An occupational hazard of marrying into the royal family is receiving thousands of bouquets throughout your royal career. While these flower...
At the risk of sounding as though I'm missing something, I don't understand the issue with Princess Angela of Liechtenstein. I rec...
When Princess Charlotte is christened on Sunday July 5th, she will traditionally be given five or six godparents/sponsors. Prince William ha...
A new royal year begins. Thankfully every British royal survived 2016 and we royal watchers can all go back to our daily lives without worry...
Other than Jennifer Aniston and Gwen Stefani, has any woman in the public eye been pregnant more often than Kate? If...
Jerramy Fine has an unerring knack for provoking skeptical questions. Such as.. Did she really go to London to find her prince? Can ho...
Hard to believe that it has been 18 years since Diana's death. I will never forget where I was when I heard she had been in an accident....
If you check the top left hand corner of the blog, just above recent articles, you'll see that I welcome questions on royalty. I love an...
- ► 2016 (17)
- ► 2015 (35)
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (53)
- ► 2011 (131)
- The Royal Report for Sunday August 1st, 2010 - Tri...
- The Royal Report for Sunday July 25th, 2010 - Shou...
- Royal Focus: Queen Elizabeth II's Royal Wedding Dr...
- Royal Focus: The Cullinan V Heart Brooch
- Royal Focus: The Prince Albert Brooch
- Royal Focus: The Queen's flame lily brooch
- The Royal Tour 2010 - The Queen's Jewels
- The Royal Tour - Day Nine
- The Royal Tour of Canada - Day Eight
- The Royal Tour of Canada - Day Seven
- The Royal Tour of Canada 2010 - Day Six
- The Royal Report for Monday July 5, 2010 - A look ...
- The Royal Report for Sunday July 4, 2010 POSTPONED...
- The Royal Tour of Canada - Day Four and Five
- The Royal Tour of Canada 2010 - Day Three
- ▼ July (15)
- ► 2009 (97)
- ► 2008 (126)
- ► 2007 (132)
- ► 2006 (58)