I rarely blog about non-British royals but in honor of the upcoming marriage of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden to Daniel Westling, I thought it would be appropriate to give a brief history of male royal consorts. Their destiny is to walk two paces behind, living in the shadow of their reigning wives. The future Prince Daniel is in good company.
Prince Albert, Prince Consort
Currently the longest serving royal consort in history. The husband of
Queen Elizabeth II, he was born in 1921 on a dining room table in Villa Mon Repos on the Greek island of Corfu. He was known as Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark until his engagement to Princess Elizabeth in 1947. He became a naturalized British subject in the same year, giving up his royal titles to become plain Ltn. Philip Mountbatten. Upon his marriage he became HRH Duke of Edinburgh and in 1957 he was given the title Prince of the United Kingdom. In 2007, The Queen and Prince Philip celebrated their Diamond wedding anniversary - the first for any British monarch in history.
Prince Claus of the Netherlands
At the risk of sounding as though I'm missing something, I don't understand the issue with Princess Angela of Liechtenstein. I rec...
When Princess Charlotte is christened on Sunday July 5th, she will traditionally be given five or six godparents/sponsors. Prince William ha...
A new royal year begins. Thankfully every British royal survived 2016 and we royal watchers can all go back to our daily lives without worry...
Jerramy Fine has an unerring knack for provoking skeptical questions. Such as.. Did she really go to London to find her prince? Can ho...
Other than Jennifer Aniston and Gwen Stefani, has any woman in the public eye been pregnant more often than Kate? If...
Hard to believe that it has been 18 years since Diana's death. I will never forget where I was when I heard she had been in an accident....
Never in the history of royal watching have we ever been so fascinated by another woman's skirt. Yes, we talk about the length and color...
In July we will be heading to London. My husband and I have been there twice but this will be a first time for our children. While we are ...
- ► 2016 (17)
- ► 2015 (35)
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (53)
- ► 2011 (131)
- Not a monarchist, just semi-fascinated at the mome...
- The Royal Tour of Canada 2010 - Day Two
- The Royal Tour of Canada 2010 - Day One
- The Royal Report for Sunday June 27, 2010 - Prince...
- Swedish Royal Wedding Report
- The Princess Angela of Liechtenstein Non-Issue
- Prince William and Prince Harry vs the vuvuzelas
- The Royal Report for Sunday June 20th, 2010 - A Ce...
- Unfortunately Kate Middleton isn't pregnant
- Swedish Royal Wedding fever
- Prince William supports the Republican movement
- Male Royal Consorts
- The things Prince William and Prince Harry do for ...
- The Royal Report for Sunday June 13th, 2010 has be...
- The Royal Report for Sunday June 6, 2010 - The Blo...
- Prince William and Kate Middleton's Royal Engageme...
- ▼ June (16)
- ► 2009 (97)
- ► 2008 (126)
- ► 2007 (132)
- ► 2006 (58)