Thursday, March 26, 2009

Some things are better left unsaid

In the past I've enjoyed The Spoof website. Sometimes the articles have hit the nail on the head when everyone else was taking royal stories a bit too seriously. But a recent article: Kate Middleton: My Natasha Richardson Copycat Skiing Tragedy Fears - made me think that some things should be off limits, if only for the sake of decency.

Kate Middleton has been knocked around a fair share for her fashion sense, lack of a job and being a commoner. I'm all for reading clever commentary. But when you satirize her using the recent death of beloved stage and screen actress Natasha Richardson, I think you've crossed the line. Her death was a tragic accident, not something to be used as a joke.

Maybe I'm taking this all too seriously. It is supposed to be parody and satire, right?

For some reason I still can't seem to find the punchline.

© Marilyn Braun 2009

6 comments:

Lucy said...

There are certainly ways of being creative in your writing without having to seek out someone's tragedy to infuse your piece into stardom. You're right...some things should be left alone. Thanks:)

Marilyn Braun said...

When I read it the first time I was rather disgusted.

MandysRoyalty said...

It was in bad taste. Natasha Richardson was a lovely lady who was taken too soon. Her family is shaken and grieving, and that's not something you parody.

Sorry, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

The Court Jeweller said...

I agree, Marilyn. Even for a parody site, that story was incredibly tasteless.

Marilyn Braun said...

Hard to believe that people have actually rated that story as 'funny'.

Lucy said...

Funny?! Ok, that's really disgusting.