Thursday, October 13, 2011

Kate Middleton and Catherine who?

The Official Royal Wedding photographs
Exhibit A
It was inevitable and understandable. Hanging on to the past is reassuring and familiar. There could also be disbelief that the royal wedding actually occurred. Rest assured it did and there's plenty of proof when it doubt. You might actually have to pinch yourself but it's time to face reality. William and Kate Middleton are married and now she is Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge. It's on DVDs, books and china. There's even official photographs. I present Exhibit A.

The Duke and Duchess  of Cambridge open the new Oak Centre for Children and Young People during a visit to The Royal Marsden Hospital
Exhibit B
Despite the wedding ceremony and official announcements there are still numerous articles referring to Catherine as Kate Middleton. In rare occurrences she is called The Duchess of Cambridge, like when she unveils a plaque (Exhibit B). But for the media it seems they just don't get it. Some reporters, unsure of what to do, have inventively created a hybrid 'Katy Cambridge'. It's as if they want to acknowledge reality but don't want to let go of the past.

In the beginning, we may have thought that this misconception would be temporary. It would take time for people to adapt. But six months later, people are still using her old name. No matter how many new fashions Catherine wears, she is still referred to as Kate Middleton. She can wear shiny pantyhose to her hearts content but it doesn't change a thing. The  name Kate Middleton is so deeply ingrained that there seems to be no other possibility. It's as if Catherine is just not good enough. It's always 'Kate Middleton, Kate Middleton, Kate Middleton.'

It's an unfortunate occurrence that Catherine would feel neglected. Eclipsed by a more familiar counterpart, possibly at risk of developing an inferiority complex. She needs to repeat the mantra: 'Catherine, you're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone-it, people will clue in eventually.'

It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

© Marilyn Braun 2011

Thank you for enjoying this article. If you use the information for research purposes, a link to credit the work I've put into writing it would be appreciated.

5 comments:

Kylie said...

I wasn't sure as to why Kate Middleton had to be referred to as "Catherine." I am sure it's just a legal matter, but do you know the actual reason why she is to be called her formal name now?

Marilyn Braun said...

Possibly because it sounds more regal than Kate? I really like the name Catherine, Kate sounds too informal and if Catherine is her real, legal name, then why not? :)

Kylie said...

Kate definitely sounds more informal and Catherine sounds so elegant I agree! I love the alliteration Catherine of Cambridge :)

Anonymous said...


I decided about two years ago that I would not buy magazines or click websites that used Kate Middleton. On the internet, I check the URL before I will read an article and if they have used Kate, or Middleton, I skip over it. I know that I am only one person, but from reading message boards and Twitter, I am not the only one. Hopefully, eventually, the "hits" will decrease enough that hopefully reporters and magazines will use her proper and correct name and title.

Marilyn Braun said...

The use of 'Kate Middleton' is a bone of contention for lots of royal watchers. I do think the media has gotten better with referring to her as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge as opposed to Kate Middleton. But I think that there will always be a group of people who continue to do so. For me, I dislike it when People magazine calls her 'Princess Kate' really grates on my nerves because that is not her formal title. I've seen royal watchers engage @people on twitter yet they still use 'Princess Kate' despite this.